It’s April 1st! But not even Google is bothering with April Fools jokes during this unprecedented time, so you can take everything I’m about to say at face value. We have two challenges going on this month to help us stay in shape while staying safely indoors.
- Deck of Cards Challenge: Complete a deck of cards workout each day this month
- Plank Challenge: Tackle a planking segment every day, where the segment changes weekly. For the final two days, your challenge is to hold one for as long as you can.
It’s up to you which challenge you select. You could even try both! But the point is to stay active and keep your body and mind healthy. Here are some deets on the challenges:
The deck of cards workout is a Rise staple! It goes like this:
- Pick four exercises and assign one per suit (Hearts, Spades, Clubs, Diamonds)
- Draw one card from the deck at a time. For each card note the value and the suit.
- The suit is the exercise you are doing, the value is the number of reps.
- Jacks = 11, Queens = 12, Kings = 13, Aces =14
- Go through the entire deck of 52 cards (forget the Jokers)
- Record the exercises you did on this spreadsheet!
Each day you can select whichever exercises you like! For inspiration, check out some of these exercise demonstration videos.
This plank challenge won’t just help you strengthen your core, but it will reinforce your mental toughness. And it will make you a better human! Each week presents a different segment (with several details TBD – so make sure to regularly check the spreadsheet!)
- Apr. 1-7: 5 minutes of planking per day. Break it up however you want. Suggestion is to break it up into 30-45 second planks throughout the day.
- Apr. 8-14: Side plank challenge. 30 seconds per side, 3 times during the day. By the end of the week, work up to 45-60 seconds if you can.
- Apr. 15-21: Shoulder taps & Commandos (details TBD)
- Apr. 22-28: Details TBD
- Apr. 29-30: How long can you hold it?
And make sure to record your results on the spreadsheet!
Whichever challenge you choose, make sure to stay active, healthy, safe, socially distant, and virtually connected with your fellow Risers.