It was Sparkle Week at The Rise! Four of us did a Rise to Five, showing up to five morning workouts…PLUS a special evening event – Sparkle Rise Friday! I guess that makes it a Rise to Six? ANYWAY – let us recap.
HIIT this week fell on Presidents’ Day…which is actually just Washington’s Birthday in New York State, but simply we don’t know enough fun facts about Washington to make a whole workout around him. So Presidents’ Day it is!
We learned several things:
1) Bear crawls are deceptively difficult. Especially “Buchanan” bear crawls.
2) George H. W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush and Barack Obama all have their own unique Burpee variant.
3) When a president sprints while the VP planks – that’s called awesome teamwork.
Great job patriots!
10 – 15 – 20 – 15 – 10 and a sprint, where the numbers are repetitions of various exercises. That’s all we did in Brooklyn on Tuesday – three workout segments based on this simple format. But remember – simple ain’t easy! But simple DOES get rave reviews from your fellow Risers, such as “This is hard”.
(If you wanted easy, you should have stayed in bed!)
Also, some random dude came over and high fived us during his run. It was unexpected, but not unwelcome!
We also bade Hillary adieu. She has moved to the True North (strong and free) because New York just wasn’t cold enough.
All in all – I give this workout a 256 out of 10 (it would have been 258 if Hillary didn’t leave!)
It was a very energizing morning this Tuesday. The Queens Warriors did it again with sprints, box jumps, plank jacks, a dice workout, karate moves and lots of high fives throughout the whole workout.
Oh boy! Remember that deck of cards y’all?? With mountain climbers, lunges, Russian twists and jumping jacks as our exercises, it felt like we were doing three decks in one! But heck – it was awesome.
We formed teams for the ball bag challenge and wrapped up with 100 squats led by our four Rise-to-fivers!
Leslie was our rock – because she…you know…rocked it.
Thursday was our LAST day at the New York Insight Meditation Center! Jono seized this final opportunity to escape the cold and made it the best indoor Rise workout ever!
Nice job Form and Flow crew! Remember to join us OUTSIDE at Flatiron Plaza next week!
It was lovely to host day #4 of the #RiseToFive for some of our favorite people! Kudos to Shannon, Chad and ESPECIALLY Ben (who ran all the way from Brooklyn!) for taking on this challenge and showing us how badass they really are. We had the perfect amount of sunlight before the rain started and used it to do alllll the squats and pushups!
– Mia “I’ll Smile While I Kick Your Butt” Matkovic
Friday morning was our DAY OF RECKONINGGGGGG workout. Just three simple steps:
- Run up the Williamsburg Bridge Manhattan-side incline.
- Come back down.
- Repeat steps (1) and (2) as many times as possible.
I think Steve did somewhere between 20 and 22 laps, if I’m not mistaken.
It was a pretty great way to end the week…
Well actually…the week wasn’t quite over yet!
Sparkle Rise Friday!
Last, but not least, was our evening workout and Chad’s brainchild – Sparkle Rise Friday! This 45 minute sparklefest combined elements of many of the aforementioned workouts above.
But we’ll let Chad tell you more about it in a special Sparkle Rise Friday recap post! Stay tuned.
One last thing – a little checklist before you move on with your day:
- All our workouts are listed here.
- Make sure to like The Rise’s Facebook page, and join the NYC Facebook group where all the social activities happen!
- Follow us on Instagram and Twitter.
- Subscribe to our mailing list here.
- Bring a friend. Heck, bring ten friends! We love social media, but nothing gets the job done like classic word of mouth.
- If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch!